Costa Mesa Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney
Any personal injury has the potential to be a life-changing experience, and many people who experience personal injuries struggle in the aftermath of these incidents for years. However, some traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are more damaging than others and more likely to cause permanent medical complications for the victim.
Representing Costa Mesa TBI Claims
Traumatic brain injuries are some of the most severe injuries anyone can suffer. The human brain is complex and unpredictable when it comes to injury response. While some people may seem to recover fully from brain injuries, others are left with catastrophic effects that permanently alter their lives. If you or a loved one recently experienced a traumatic brain injury due to the actions of another party, call our firm. A Costa Mesa traumatic brain injury lawyer can help you hold them accountable. The right attorney is an invaluable asset when you need to take legal action in response to another party’s actions. The attorneys at Chris and Frank have years of experience guiding clients through complex personal injury claims, and we can put this experience to work for you.
Why Should I Hire a Costa Mesa Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer?
You might wonder if you need to hire an attorney if the fault for your recent brain injury seems clear. While it is technically possible for a personal injury plaintiff to represent themselves in a lawsuit and succeed in securing compensation for their losses without an attorney, this is extremely difficult. It would be even more challenging due to the severe nature of most traumatic brain injuries. If you recently suffered a brain injury and intend to hold the responsible party accountable, trying to do so while managing your medical needs would be a tremendous challenge.
Instead of making an already stressful situation even more difficult by trying to manage it alone, have an experienced Costa Mesa personal injury attorney provide the legal counsel you need to approach your case with confidence and understanding. Hiring an attorney not only increases your likelihood of winning your case, but an experienced lawyer will also know all the channels of compensation that are open to you, helping you maximize your recovery as much as the law allows.
A brain injury is a catastrophic injury that typically requires ongoing medical care for a long time during initial recovery. Depending on the severity of the injury, the victim may require permanent ongoing medical supervision, multiple surgical treatments, and a wide range of rehabilitative therapies to regain lost functionality and autonomy. Unfortunately, many severe traumatic brain injuries cause permanent disabilities, preventing victims from living independently even after they reach maximum medical improvement. An experienced Costa Mesa traumatic brain injury lawyer is the best asset you can have for securing fair compensation for the substantial losses your brain injury entails.
Common Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries in Orange County
To file a personal injury claim for a traumatic brain injury, you must determine whether another party is directly responsible for causing the injury. Some of the most commonly cited causes of traumatic brain injuries in California include:
- Motor vehicle accidents. These incidents are a leading cause of accidental deaths and injuries throughout the state each year, and it’s vital to determine liability for an accident that results in a traumatic brain injury. The at-fault driver’s auto insurance policy may offer some compensation, but the victim will likely need to take further legal action in the form of a personal injury claim to secure compensation for all their losses.
- Slip and fall accidents. Suppose you or a loved one sustained a head injury due to a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property. In that case, you likely have grounds for a civil claim under California’s premises liability laws. Property owners must ensure their properties are safe for lawful visitors.
- Workplace injuries. Some industries like construction and manufacturing are inherently dangerous due to employees’ working conditions and the job duties they perform. If you sustained a traumatic brain injury at work in California, you have the right to file a claim for workers’ compensation benefits. However, you may only receive compensation for immediate medical costs and disability benefits for lost income. A personal injury claim can help you secure a more complete recovery.
- Interpersonal violence. Unfortunately, California has one of the highest rates of violent crime. If you or a loved one suffered a brain injury from an assault or any other crime, the party responsible will likely face criminal prosecution in addition to civil liability for your damages.
- Sports accidents. Many contact sports like football and ice hockey have a high risk of traumatic brain injuries. The overwhelming majority of professional football players in the US have had at least one concussion. People who play sports at all ages and skill levels face the risk of experiencing brain injuries. If you or a loved one sustained a brain injury while playing a sport, you should consult a lawyer as soon as possible to determine your options for legal recourse.
This is not an exhaustive list of all the ways brain injuries might happen in Costa Mesa, CA. If you believe a recent brain injury resulted from another party’s actions, contact our firm. An experienced Costa Mesa traumatic brain injury lawyer can help determine your best available options. A brain injury is likely to cause years of medical issues, and some victims face a high probability of permanent complications.
Potential Medical Complications From Traumatic Brain Injuries
Brain injuries are some of the most severe injuries anyone can suffer due to their unpredictable nature. Two people can have seemingly identical brain injuries but vastly different experiences. One could seem to recover completely in a relatively short time while the other victim experiences a host of profound complications and long-term damage.
Even an apparently mild traumatic brain injury can cause lifelong medical complications and disabilities. Some of the most commonly reported symptoms of brain injuries in the US include:
- Increased susceptibility to brain injuries. After a person has a concussion, they may seem to recover completely with rest and appropriate treatment, but they will be more vulnerable to concussions from then on.
- Sensory problems. Some brain injuries will interrupt or nullify sensory processing. For example, a traumatic brain injury could result in blindness, deafness, or other sensory impairment.
- Language and speech problems. Many people who suffer traumatic brain injuries will display symptoms of speech impairment or develop language processing disorders.
- Memory problems. It’s common for traumatic brain injuries to disrupt memory functions. Some brain injury victims will not recall the accidents that caused their injuries and may display even more significant memory loss. It’s also possible that a TBI will permanently impair memory function.
- Personality and mood disorders. Depending on the location of a brain injury, the victim may display significant personality changes or mood disorders after these incidents.
- Mobility impairment. The brain allows conscious control of the body. When certain parts of the brain sustain traumatic damage, the victim may be unable to control parts of their body or experience a wide range of possible mobility issues.
- Cognitive impairment. Some brain injuries result in a devastating loss of cognitive function. Some victims may be left in vegetative states or unable to perform basic everyday tasks consciously.
These potential symptoms are not only severe but also unpredictable. A traumatic brain injury can cause some immediate symptoms that are recognizable shortly after these incidents, but they may also cause symptoms that do not appear until months or even years after the initial injury.
Proving Fault for a Traumatic Brain Injury Accident in Costa Mesa, CA
If another party is responsible for a recent traumatic brain injury to you or a loved one, you have the right to file a civil claim against them and seek compensation for your damages. Virtually every brain injury results in tangible economic losses, and a Costa Mesa traumatic brain injury lawyer can help you accurately value your claim. However, before you can obtain compensation for your damages, you must identify the party responsible for your injury and prove they directly caused your claimed damages.
In a traumatic brain injury claim, the plaintiff must prove that the defendant named in their lawsuit acted without reasonable care or violated a duty of care that directly caused the plaintiff’s claimed damages. Your Costa Mesa traumatic brain injury lawyer can help you gather physical evidence, eyewitness testimony, and statements from expert witnesses to help you build your claim.
Damages and Compensation Available in a Traumatic Brain Injury Claim
Once you establish liability for a traumatic brain injury, you must provide evidence that shows the full extent of your claimable losses. California state law allows a personal injury claimant to recover compensation for all economic damages directly due to a defendant’s actions. Your successful personal injury claim can potentially help you recover:
- Medical treatment costs. A brain injury is likely to require extensive short-term care immediately after the accident and long-term care to help the victim regain lost brain function. When a brain injury permanently impairs a victim, they may require constant in-home medical support, and the defendant would be responsible for these expenses as well.
- Lost income. A brain injury could prevent the victim from working for an extended time. Severe brain injuries can easily cause permanent disabilities that will stop victims from working again. Your Costa Mesa traumatic brain injury lawyer will help you prove the full extent of your lost income and lost earning potential when a brain injury prevents you from working or requires you to leave your job to care for a family member who sustained a brain injury.
- Property damage. When a brain injury results from a car crash or any other incident that also caused damage to the victim’s property, the victim has the right to seek compensation for their property losses.
Economic damages may only form a portion of the plaintiff’s overall recovery. California state law also allows personal injury plaintiffs to claim compensation for their pain and suffering in proportion to the severity of their injuries. There is no cap on pain and suffering compensation in California personal injury claims except in medical malpractice claims. Your Costa Mesa traumatic brain injury attorney will help you determine a fair amount of pain and suffering compensation to include with your claim based on the seriousness of the brain injury and the likelihood of the victim experiencing long-term or permanent medical complications from the injury.
FAQs About Costa Mesa, CA TBI Law
How Do You Prove a Traumatic Brain Injury?
If you plan to take legal action for a brain injury, you must provide unmistakable proof of the extent of the injury. This may require various screenings, scans, and testing procedures. Your attorney can help you determine what evidence you will need to provide to prove the nature of your traumatic brain injury.
How Much Does a Traumatic Brain Injury Cost for Treatment?
Traumatic brain injuries are some of the most expensive injuries a person can suffer. The victim will need extensive immediate medical treatment and is likely to require ongoing treatments and therapies to help them recover lost function. The medical costs claimed in a brain injury lawsuit are likely to be substantial.
Has Anyone Recovered From Traumatic Brain Injury?
A person can make a complete recovery from a brain injury. However, any brain injury is likely to leave some lingering effects. For example, the symptoms of a concussion may fade within a few months of the injury, but the victim will be left more vulnerable to future concussions.
Traumatic Brain Injury Attorneys, Chris and Frank for Costa Mesa
You probably have many more questions about your legal options regarding a recent traumatic brain injury in Costa Mesa. If another party is directly responsible for causing a traumatic brain injury, it’s vital to consult an experienced attorney as soon as possible to determine your best available legal options. Chris and Frank’s Costa Mesa traumatic brain injury attorneys can provide the compassionate and meticulous legal representation you need to approach your brain injury claim with confidence. If you are ready to discuss your case with a Costa Mesa traumatic brain injury lawyer, contact Chris and Frank today to schedule your consultation.
- Costa Mesa Personal Injury Lawyer
- Costa Mesa Car Accident Lawyer
- Costa Mesa Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Costa Mesa Truck Accident Lawyer
- Costa Mesa Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Costa Mesa Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Costa Mesa Bus Accident Lawyer
- Costa Mesa Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Costa Mesa Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Costa Mesa Dog Bite Lawyer
- Costa Mesa Uber Lyft Rideshare Accident Lawyer
- Costa Mesa Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer
- Costa Mesa Boat Accident Lawyer
Actual Client Testimonials
“This is the best firm to go to. They will fight for your rights to be compensated. I have a loved one that used them. They treat you like you are one of their own family members. I highly recommend them. To be honest I wouldn’t use any other firm.” Jeff E.
Client Review: 5/5
Check out more reviews on Google!