Every year throughout the United States, car accidents are a leading cause of accidental injuries and deaths. Drivers face different risks in various regions of the country based on weather, road conditions, and environmental factors. Drivers in urban areas face traffic congestion and a higher concentration of uninsured, reckless, and otherwise unpredictable drivers. Ultimately, everyone faces various risks when they drive in Garden Grove, and understanding the latest accident statistics may help some drivers limit their risk of causing accidents.
Various independent organizations like the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and government agencies at the state and federal levels, such as the California Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), collect and analyze vehicle accident data. Each year, various reports are published and available for drivers across the country to review. Unfortunately, accident statistics over recent years indicate some glaring safety issues for drivers in Garden Grove.
The team at Chris and Frank Accident Attorneys strives to provide our clients and prospective clients in the Garden Grove, CA, area with the information they can use to mitigate their risks of experiencing personal injuries. Knowing a few key risk factors and best practices for safe driving can potentially keep you safe on California roads, and we can provide the legal counsel you need when an accident occurs.
Most Common Causes of Car Accidents in California
Across California and throughout the United States, various agencies of all kinds report distracted driving as the leading cause of all motor vehicle accidents in the country each year. Even a few seconds of inattentive driving is sufficient to cause a devastating accident with potentially life-changing or fatal results for those involved. Distracted driving can take many forms, but cell phone use is the most commonly cited form of distracted driving responsible for accidents.
California has enacted a strict ban on the use of cell phones for drivers who do not use hands-free connections for their phones. If a police officer sees a driver in Garden Grove using their phone with their hands while driving, this is enough to justify a traffic stop and a ticket. Cell phone use, eating while driving, smoking, and conversing with passengers are all distractions that can potentially cause serious accidents.
Proving distracted driving can be difficult, but an experienced attorney can potentially secure traffic camera recordings, vehicle computer data, cell phone records, and other evidence to help their client establish fault for their recent car accident. Aside from distracted driving, the latest car accident statistics indicate a few other common causes of accidents as well as key factors that determine the severity of accidents throughout the country:
- Driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs is illegal in California and every other state, yet DUI remains a leading cause of traffic accidents across the country. Any driver who causes an accident because they were intoxicated faces criminal charges and civil liability for the victim’s damages. DUI is not only likely to cause an accident but also result in tremendous harm compared to other accidents. An impaired driver is unlikely to be able to mitigate the damage from an accident due to the physical effects of intoxication.
- Speeding. When drivers disregard speed limits, they put themselves and others at severe risk. Accidents are not only more likely to occur when a driver exceeds a posted speed limit, but if one does occur, those involved are highly susceptible to severe injuries. As a result, speeding is a major contributing factor in many fatal vehicle accidents throughout the United States yearly.
- Moving violations. All drivers have a legal duty of care to abide by the rules of the road and maintain a safe traffic flow. However, running red lights, failing to stop at stop signs, cutting off other drivers, and performing illegal turns are just a few examples of moving violations that can potentially result in accidents. In addition, available data shows a failure to accurately navigate intersections contributes to many accidents throughout California’s metropolitan areas each year.
- Reckless driving is an unfortunately common occurrence throughout Southern California. Any driver who causes an accident because of their willful disregard for the safety of others faces criminal charges in addition to their civil liabilities.
When you know another driver is responsible for your recent accident, you must understand the value of legal counsel you can trust if you want to hold them accountable for your damages. The right attorney is invaluable when you must take legal action in response to a personal injury someone else caused. Regardless of how your accident happened in Garden Grove, CA, if another driver caused it, you have the right to hold them accountable for the damages they inflicted on you.
Commonly Reported Damages in California Car Accident Cases
Car accidents happen daily throughout the United States, costing the national economy billions in damages yearly. Medical expenses from car accident injuries strain the health care infrastructure and cause property damage, road blockages, and other economic impacts that strain local economies. Those injured in vehicle accidents yield lost productivity and sometimes workers’ compensation claims. The cost of car accidents throughout California is very high, especially for those injured in accidents caused by negligence or misconduct.
Each year in Garden Grove and throughout Southern California, some very commonly reported damages from car accidents include severe physical injuries, vehicle repair costs, and missed work days. Additionally, workers’ compensation can come into play when accidents occur involving commercial drivers or others who drive as part of their primary job duties. Ultimately, drivers who cause accidents risk harming themselves and others and have clear economic impacts on their communities.
Benefits of Working With a Garden Grove Car Accident Attorney
When you have legal counsel that you can trust from an experienced Garden Grove car accident attorney, you are better equipped to handle the unique challenges your case may present. California upholds a fault system for resolving car accidents. This means whoever causes an accident assumes liability for the resulting damages. In some accidents, fault is perfectly clear and beyond any point of arguing. Determining liability is less straightforward in other cases. For example, an at-fault driver may deny they caused the accident, or more than one party can share blame for the incident.
Working with the right Garden Grove car accident attorney means you will have legal guidance as you navigate the initial auto insurance claim filing process after your accident. State law requires that drivers maintain auto insurance coverage, and the at-fault driver’s policy may offer some immediate relief after your accident. However, when your damages eclipse the coverage available from auto insurance, you must proceed with a civil suit against the at-fault driver to maximize your recovery.
Regardless of how your recent car accident happened or what legal proceedings may be necessary for your recovery, working with a Garden Grove car accident attorney with experience in your kind of case is the best strategy for enhancing your final compensation from the at-fault driver. Chris and Frank Accident Attorneys can provide the comprehensive legal representation you need in this situation and answer your most pressing legal questions.
Best Practices for Avoiding Car Accidents in California
While you cannot reasonably expect to accurately anticipate the actions of other drivers 100% of the time, you can be proactive and take steps to reduce your own risk of causing an accident. Of course, it’s always possible for another driver to cause an accident with your vehicle, but a few best practices can assist you in limiting your own risk of facing liability for an accident:
- Give yourself plenty of time to reach your destination. When you do not feel rushed, you will be less likely to speed or engage in risky maneuvers behind the wheel.
- Minimize distractions. Maintain focus and situational awareness as you operate your vehicle. Many minor accidents happen because of complacency and/or inattention. Alert drivers are far less likely to cause accidents.
- Drive defensively. Drivers who encounter reckless or aggressive drivers may be frustrated enough to respond in kind. However, this can create a very dangerous situation quite quickly. Defensive driving means obeying the traffic rules at all times, allowing faster-moving traffic to pass you whenever possible, and avoiding conflicts with aggressive drivers.
- Address maintenance issues promptly. If the Check Engine light turns on in your vehicle or if you encounter any other performance issues, it’s important to have a mechanic investigate and service your vehicle as soon as possible. If you allow any known maintenance issue to persist in your vehicle and it causes an accident, you will be liable for the resulting damages.
- Avoid driving in unsafe conditions. Carefully evaluate the weather, visibility, time of day, and traffic conditions before driving. If your trip can wait or you do not feel comfortable driving in the current conditions, adjust your schedule if possible so you can drive when you feel safest.
Ultimately, these best practices could help you limit your risk of causing an accident, but you can never fully anticipate what could happen on the road. If another driver caused an accident with you in Garden Grove, you need legal counsel to guide you through the proceedings you face if you want to hold them accountable for your damages.
FAQs About Garden Grove Car Accident Statistics
Where Do the Highest Percentage of Car Accidents Happen in California?
Los Angeles County has the highest countywide fatal accident rate in California. In most years, the fatal motor vehicle accident rate in LA County is twice that of any other county in Southern California. Regarding specific accident locations, most car accidents in Southern California occur in residential areas and neighborhoods. In addition, California has one of the highest vehicle accident rates of any US state and one of the highest rates of uninsured drivers, further complicating the aftermath of many accidents in Garden Grove each year.
What Are the Odds of Dying in a Car Crash?
The National Safety Council of America estimates the average chance of dying in a car accident on any given day in the United States is about one in 101 for most drivers. Some excellent ways to reduce your risk of causing an accident are practicing defensive driving, addressing vehicle maintenance issues promptly, and giving yourself plenty of time to reach your destination, so you are not inclined to rush.
What Brand of Car Has the Most Fatal Accidents?
According to the latest accident statistics, automakers Ford and Chevrolet are essentially tied as the leaders of manufacturers whose vehicles are reportedly involved in the most fatal vehicle accidents. Car buyers should carefully consider vehicles’ safety records and unique performance features, making informed decisions about the vehicles they purchase.
What Happens If an At-Fault Driver Causes a Fatal Accident?
If a driver causes a fatal accident, the victim’s family could file a wrongful death claim against them to seek compensation for the loss of their loved one. Additionally, the at-fault driver may face criminal charges such as vehicular manslaughter, reckless driving, driving under the influence (DUI), or more, depending on how they caused the accident.
Should I Hire an Attorney After a Car Accident in Garden Grove?
Hiring legal counsel you can trust will significantly improve the quality of your recovery efforts after a serious car accident. You can rely on your attorney to provide ongoing support and guidance as your case unfolds. While you focus on your recovery, your attorney can handle an auto insurance claim on your behalf, help you build a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver, or explore a combination of legal options that may enhance your recovery.
Chris and Frank Accident Attorneys has a team of experienced attorneys who have helped many Garden Grove, CA, area clients recover from damaging accidents. Understanding the biggest risks you face when you drive is a good step toward avoiding accidents, but you can’t always anticipate the actions of other drivers at all times. If you are ready to explore your options for legal recourse after a car accident in the Garden Grove, CA, area, contact our team today and schedule a consultation about your claim.