Irvine Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Every day, many types of accidents occur in Irvine and surrounding communities, sometimes resulting in devastating effects for those involved. When a motor vehicle driver hits a pedestrian, this type of incident can be especially damaging, and victims of pedestrian accidents often sustain life-changing injuries.
Legal Representation for Irvine, CA, Pedestrian Accident Claims
If you or someone you love recently experienced a pedestrian accident, an Irvine pedestrian accident lawyer is the best resource to consult when determining your best options for recovering your losses. In addition, if a driver is directly responsible for causing your recent pedestrian accident, an experienced legal team will help you hold them accountable for your damages.
Chris and Frank Accident Attorneys has a team of experienced personal injury attorneys serving clients in the Irvine, CA, area and surrounding communities. Throughout the years of our firm’s operation, we have assisted many clients with very complex personal injury claims. Some cases involve unclear liability, while others pertain to extensive economic losses. Whatever your pedestrian accident case may entail, you can rely on us to provide ongoing support as the case unfolds. We will do everything we can to help you maximize your recovery.
Benefits of Hiring Legal Representation for a Pedestrian Accident Claim in Irvine, CA
Attempting to handle your own civil suit without legal representation is possible but very risky. There isn’t a strict legal requirement to hire legal counsel for a personal injury claim in California. However, the right attorney can make a tremendous difference in the outcome of your case. They will also make it much easier to handle your legal proceedings while managing the aftermath of your accident. Injured pedestrians often sustain highly traumatic injuries, and an Irvine pedestrian accident lawyer can handle their clients’ case proceedings while the client focuses on recovery.
You will have a much better chance of success with your personal injury claim with the right attorney handling the case. Chris and Frank Accident Attorneys takes a client-focused approach to personal injury counsel. This means we will take time to learn as much as possible about you and your situation, helping you determine the best legal strategies available. While you focus on recovering from your injuries, our team will ensure your case meets all filing deadlines with the court. We’ll gather evidence to prove fault for your damages and guide you through the process of proving the full scope of your claimable losses.
Hiring an experienced legal team to help you with your pedestrian accident claim offers several important advantages. With an attorney handling your court filings, there will be minimal risk of administrative or procedural problems delaying your case. You will also be most likely to maximize your final recovery with an attorney’s assistance because they can potentially identify channels of compensation you would have overlooked on your own. Chris and Frank Accident Attorneys can handle your legal affairs and provide updates on your case while you recover and manage your household.
How Pedestrian Accidents Happen in Orange County, California
Most pedestrians in the Irvine, CA, area can navigate busy areas safely by heeding posted crosswalk signals and other traffic indicators and paying attention to surrounding traffic. Unfortunately, pedestrians can easily sustain life-changing injuries if nearby drivers do not exercise the same care in handling their vehicles. Some of the most commonly reported causes of pedestrian accidents in California are:
- Distracted driving. Even momentary distraction behind the wheel can be extremely dangerous. For example, a driver may not have time to stop and avoid hitting a pedestrian if they are not paying attention to their surroundings.
- Driving under the influence (DUI) is a serious criminal offense in California. If an intoxicated driver hits and injures someone walking in Irvine, they face not only civil liability for the victim’s damages but also criminal prosecution for violation of the state’s DUI laws.
- Aggressive driving and moving violations. Drivers who do not operate their vehicles responsibly or who fail to abide by the traffic laws of California can easily cause pedestrian accidents.
- Speeding. Exceeding the speed limit will significantly reduce a driver’s time and space to avoid a collision. Pedestrian accidents at high speed are especially likely to cause catastrophic injuries.
- Jaywalking. This term applies whenever a pedestrian crosses the road outside a designated crosswalk. A pedestrian could incur partial liability for their pedestrian accident if they were jaywalking when the accident occurred.
No matter how your pedestrian accident happens, if the at-fault driver flees the scene, they face a criminal charge for hit and run. Drivers in California are legally required to call 911 to report accidents resulting in significant property damage, injury, or death. They must remain at the scene of their accidents until first responders arrive and allow them to leave.
Proving Fault for a Pedestrian Personal Injury Accident
Most people assume that if a driver hits a pedestrian, the driver is automatically at fault for the incident and responsible for all resulting damages. The reality is that both drivers and pedestrians have duties of care when navigating busy areas. Since a driver is far more likely to cause injury to a pedestrian than vice versa, the driver has a higher responsibility when preventing pedestrian accidents.
It’s possible that an at-fault driver could attempt to assert comparative fault, accusing the plaintiff of causing their own injury by jaywalking or some other negligence. An Irvine pedestrian accident attorney is the best resource for determining how to prove the truth behind your recent pedestrian accident. Establishing liability for your damages may require traffic camera recordings, vehicle computer data, cell phone records, and testimony from witnesses who saw the accident happen.
Potential Injuries From Pedestrian Accidents
Any time a vehicle hits a pedestrian, the pedestrian is likely to suffer severe injuries, some of which could be fatal without immediate medical treatment. Some of the most commonly reported pedestrian accident injuries in the Irvine, CA, area include:
- Bone fractures. The traumatic force of a pedestrian accident can easily cause broken bones upon the initial impact of the vehicle on the pedestrian as well as the secondary impact of the victim hitting the ground. Some fractures heal completely, while others cause long-lasting adverse symptoms like chronic pain and diminished range of motion.
- Spinal cord injuries. The spinal cord carries signals between the brain and the rest of the body. If the spinal cord is injured and these signals are interrupted, the spinal cord cannot heal itself, and the victim could face a host of long-term damages, such as paralysis and loss of sensation throughout large regions of the body.
- Traumatic brain injuries. When the brain sustains a physical injury, the victim could face a range of possible effects. One of the most difficult aspects of treating brain injuries is their unpredictability, and any brain injury can cause a host of immediate and long-term complications for the victim.
- Internal organ injuries. Crash impact forces can easily damage internal organs and cause internal bleeding. Therefore, it’s vital for crash accident victims to seek prompt medical care to address internal injuries that may not be immediately noticeable to prevent them from worsening to critical levels.
- Facial and dental injuries. A pedestrian accident can easily damage the victim’s face and teeth. Disfiguring injuries are not only painful and difficult to treat but also psychologically damaging.
It is very common for the victim of a pedestrian accident to sustain multiple injuries. They could face an extended hospital stay in intensive care if they suffered severe injuries. They are also likely to require ongoing medical treatment to ensure full healing and manage their symptoms in recovery. These extensive medical treatment costs are just one of the economic damages a plaintiff can seek with a personal injury claim.
Compensation for a Pedestrian Accident Claim in Irvine, CA
California’s personal injury laws allow plaintiffs to seek full repayment of all economic losses suffered from the negligence or intentional misconduct of others. For example, when a driver is responsible for causing your recent pedestrian accident, you have the right to hold them accountable for all the resulting economic losses from the incident. In California, your economic damages in a personal injury suit are likely to include:
- Medical expenses, both those you incur immediately after your pedestrian accident and those you anticipate incurring in the future for managing your medical complications from the accident. Your Irvine pedestrian accident lawyer will help you calculate the full cost of all the medical treatments you will require for your injuries.
- Lost income. Your pedestrian accident will likely cause severe injuries that prevent you from working. The defendant is liable for the income you lose during this time, and you can hold them accountable for lost future earning potential if you cannot return to work because of your accident.
- Property damage. If the defendant also damaged or destroyed personal property, you can include your property losses as economic damages in your personal injury claim.
California state law also acknowledges that the experience of a personal injury is damaging and worthy of compensation. As the plaintiff in a pedestrian accident claim, you can seek pain and suffering compensation for physical pain, emotional distress, and psychological suffering resulting from a personal injury.
There isn’t a limit to the amount of pain and suffering compensation a personal injury plaintiff can include in their complaint. However, an Irvine pedestrian accident lawyer can help their client determine a reasonable figure based on the severity of their injuries and whether they face long-term or permanent medical complications from the accident.
Most personal injury claims involve pain and suffering compensation awarded in two different formats. First is the per diem method, most appropriate for plaintiffs expected to fully recover from their injuries. With this type of pain and suffering arrangement, the plaintiff receives a set amount every day until they reach full recovery. The second option is the multiplier method, typically used when a plaintiff has sustained catastrophic losses. Their attorney multiplies the total economic damages included in their claim by a factor of one to five or even more to reflect the severity of the plaintiff’s condition.
Understanding California’s Pure Comparative Negligence Statute
In California, it is possible for a plaintiff to bear partial liability for their damages in a personal injury case but still recover compensation for their losses. The state’s pure comparative negligence statute applies whenever a plaintiff is partially responsible for causing their claimed damages. For example, if an investigation determines a plaintiff in a pedestrian accident claim was jaywalking when the incident occurred, the judge overseeing the case may decide that this constitutes comparative fault.
Whenever a plaintiff bears comparative fault, they are assigned a fault percentage and lose this percentage of their final case award. For example, if a plaintiff is found 25% at fault in a $400,000 injury claim, they would lose $100,000 or 25% of the case award to reflect their comparative negligence. Depending on the total value of the case and the level of liability the plaintiff carries, the impact of comparative negligence can be significant in any personal injury claim.
If you have any concerns about comparative fault coming into play in your pedestrian accident claim, it is crucial that you speak with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Defendants often assert comparative negligence to defend themselves, accusing plaintiffs of causing or contributing to causing their own damages. While it is possible for comparative negligence to come into play in a pedestrian accident case, an excellent attorney will effectively leverage evidence and the unique details of the incident to help their client minimize the fault percentage they receive from the judge.
What to Expect From Your Irvine Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Your Irvine pedestrian accident lawyer is an invaluable asset no matter what your case entails. The right attorney will help you gather whatever evidence you need to prove fault for your recent pedestrian accident and hold the at-fault driver accountable for their actions. For example, you may need to obtain copies of traffic camera recordings and statements from eyewitnesses to firmly establish fault for your accident.
An Irvine pedestrian accident attorney is essential for determining the full scope of your claimable damages as well. Many personal injury plaintiffs initially undervalue their claims, not realizing the full scope of compensation they can seek until they have legal counsel advising them. When you choose Chris and Frank Accident Attorneys to represent you in a pedestrian accident claim, we will aggressively pursue every avenue of compensation available to you to help you maximize the compensation you obtain from the case.
Most personal injury cases filed in California end in private settlement negotiations. The settlement process offers both sides of a civil dispute a means of resolving the situation quickly and efficiently. However, if the two parties cannot reach a mutually agreeable resolution, the case may need to be resolved in court. If you must endure litigation to secure compensation for your losses from a pedestrian accident, Chris and Frank Accident Attorneys will help you approach your court proceedings with confidence and peace of mind.
FAQs About Irvine, CA Pedestrian Injury Laws
How Much Is My Pedestrian Accident Claim Worth?
The total value of any civil case hinges on multiple factors, such as the severity of the plaintiff’s losses and the overall financial impact of their experience. Many pedestrian accidents result in devastating injuries and extensive economic losses. Your Irvine pedestrian accident lawyer will help you calculate the total potential value of your claim.
Can a Driver Make a Claim Against a Pedestrian?
While an injured pedestrian can share liability for causing a pedestrian accident, it is unlikely for any driver to ever have enough grounds to make a personal injury claim against a pedestrian. Comparative fault could diminish a plaintiff’s recovery, but it is unlikely for any driver to prove that a pedestrian they hit with their car somehow caused damages to them.
What Happens If a Pedestrian Accident Is Fatal?
If a pedestrian does not survive being hit by a car, their family would have the right to pursue a wrongful death claim against the responsible driver. This type of claim is similar to a personal injury suit, with a few key differences.
Is It Worth Hiring an Irvine Pedestrian Accident Attorney?
The right attorney can have a tremendous positive impact on the outcome of any civil case. When you have Chris and Frank Accident Attorneys handling your pedestrian accident case, you can expect aggressive pursuit of maximum compensation on your behalf. You will most likely win a pedestrian accident claim and maximize your final recovery when you have an experienced Irvine pedestrian accident lawyer handling your case.
Chris and Frank Accident Attorneys understand that any personal injury can generate a lot of legal questions, and a victim may not know what to do after suffering a pedestrian accident in Irvine. Therefore, after addressing your immediate medical needs, contact Chris and Frank Accident Attorneys to schedule your free consultation with an experienced and reliable Irvine pedestrian accident lawyer.
Irvine Practice Areas
- Irvine Personal Injury Lawyer
- Irvine Car Accident Lawyer
- Irvine Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Irvine Truck Accident Lawyer
- Irvine Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Irvine Dog Bite Lawyer
- Irvine Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Irvine Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Irvine Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Irvine Rideshare Accident Lawyer
- Irvine Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer
Actual Client Testimonials
“This is the best firm to go to. They will fight for your rights to be compensated. I have a loved one that used them. They treat you like you are one of their own family members. I highly recommend them. To be honest I wouldn’t use any other firm.” Jeff E.
Client Review: 5/5
Check out more reviews on Google!