Were You Involved In An Accident in Laguna Hills?
If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident in Laguna Hills and you are unsure of what to do next, look no further. Speaking with our Laguna Hills personal injury lawyer can help guide you in the right direction and inform you of your legal rights and possibilities for compensation.
Our award-winning injury attorneys and professional staff are available to help you in your time of need and are here to discuss your case at your convenience. We are available to help you 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Table of Contents
1. A Quick Overview of Laguna Hills Personal Injury Claims
2. What Are the Main Types of Laguna Hills Personal Injury Accidents
3. Statute of Limitations For Laguna Hills Personal Injuries
4. Can You File a Personal Injury Claim on Behalf of Someone Else in Laguna Hills?
5. Laguna Hills Personal Injury Case Compensation
6. Why You Need a Laguna Hills Personal Injury Lawyer
7. How Our Laguna Hills CA Personal Injury Lawyer Near You Can Help
Life is a gamble, and when accidents happen, they can turn your life upside down. This is especially true if you or your loved one has sustained serious injuries. Contrary to popular belief, personal accidents are very common, and their impact can be devastating. In fact, according to the CDC, unintentional injuries are the 3rd leading cause of death.
While there’s little anyone can do to avoid personal injuries, if they are sustained as a result of someone else’s negligence, you deserve to be fairly compensated. This is why, once the initial shock is over, you should hire a Laguna Hills personal injury attorney.
If you’re looking for a personal injury lawyer following an accident that resulted in injuries or death in Laguna Hills, here’s a comprehensive guide to help you out.
A Quick Overview of Laguna Hills Personal Injury Claims
Personal injury claims are often complex, which is why you need to battle them with the right lawyer by your side. If you don’t understand the legal framework for personal injuries in California, you may end up settling for less than you deserve. For instance, what if you’re partially at fault for the personal injury… Can you get compensation? Yes!
California follows a pure comparative negligence rule. This means that if you’re partially at fault, your compensation will be reduced by your percentage of fault. For instance, think of a scenario where you are involved in a car accident because the other party ran a red light. They were careless & negligent and are majorly at fault. However, you were also driving a few miles above the speed limit, so you’re partially to blame. If the court finds you to be 10% at fault, if you were to receive a compensation of $100,000, you’d only recover $90,000.
In such situations, it’s important that you hire a lawyer to help you prove that the defendant had a higher percentage of fault.
What Are the Main Types of Laguna Hills Personal Injury Accidents
Personal injury is a legal term that refers to situations where harm is inflicted on a person’s mind, body, and emotions due to another party’s negligence. The main types of Laguna Hills personal injuries claims that we handle include;
- Motor vehicle accidents: in 2019, California experienced 3,316 crashes which resulted in 3,606 deaths. This roughly translates to 9.1 deaths per 100,000 people! There are instances where the accidents only result in minor car damage, but some crashes leave the driver, passengers, and pedestrians with serious injuries and permanent disabilities.
- Slips, trips, and falls: these types of accidents are fairly common, and in some instances, they result in death and traumatic brain injuries. If you’re involved in a slip and fall accident on another person’s or business’s property due to their negligence, you should file a claim. All property owners are required by the law to maintain them so that they are reasonably safe.
- Motorcycle accidents: motorcycle riders are at a greater risk of being injured compared to car drivers. Unfortunately, there’s a high bias against the motorcycle rider community, and most of the time, other drivers and insurance companies tend to blame them for accidents. At Chris and Frank Accident Attorneys, we don’t stop until your rights are upheld.
- Truck accidents: these accidents are usually fatal and often result in wrongful death. Since most trucking companies are established, they usually have a team of insurance adjusters and legal advisors. You need to go for a Laguna Hills personal injury attorney that’s not afraid to go head to head with them to get you the fair compensation you deserve.
- Bicycle accidents: most people assume that bicycle accidents are always minor, but that’s far from the truth. In fact, data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reveals that over 2% of all traffic-related deaths are bicycle fatalities. Most of the time, this type of accident results in injuries to the upper and lower extremities.
- Dog bites: a dog bite injury can result in severe infection, but unfortunately, most people are unaware that they can file a lawsuit for the same. In most states, the law protects dog owners with a one-bite rule. According to this law, dog owners cannot be held liable the first time their dog bites someone as long as they had no reason to believe that it was dangerous.
However, in California, no such law exists, and all dog owners are strictly liable for their dog’s actions. This means that even if the dog bites you lawfully in a private place or in a public area, you can still file a personal injury claim.
- Pedestrian accidents: these types of accidents are not limited to being hit by a car while on the road. Pedestrian accidents also include injuries sustained due to poorly maintained sidewalks, construction areas, and parking lots.
When you’re involved in an accident, the extent of the injuries varies. Here’s are the main types of personal injury claims that we deal with;
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Wrongful death
- Severe burns
- Spinal cord injuries
- Sprains and strains
- Infections resulting from dog bites
- Neck injuries
- Broken bones and fractures.
What Is the Statute of Limitations on Personal Injuries in Laguna Hills?
The Californian statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits is 2 years from the date of the accident. There’s, however, an exception if the injury is unknown, in which case you have one year from the time of discovery to file a claim.
If you try to file a lawsuit after the statute of limitations has passed, it will be dismissed, so make sure you consult a Laguna Hills personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
Can You File a Personal Injury Claim on Behalf of Someone Else in Laguna Hills?
If your loved one has suffered traumatic injuries or wrongful death, you can file a lawsuit on their behalf. You should, however, note that the 2-year statute of limitations also applies in this case. In the event of death, the clock starts ticking when the loved one passes on.
What Types of Compensation Should You Expect From Your Laguna Hills Personal Injury Case?
There are 3 main types of compensations related to personal injury cases; economic damages, non-economic damages, and punitive damages. Economic damages are awarded for the expenses you incurred because of the injuries sustained. Non-economic damages, on the other hand, are awarded for losses that have no monetary value, including the loss of a loved one. Punitive damages are awarded if the other party acted in a malicious manner.
We have broken down the main types of compensations below;
- Property damage, including the cost of repairing or replacing your car due to the accident.
- Medical expenses such as physician and surgical services, ambulance transport, cost of medication, provision of assistive devices including prosthetic limbs & wheelchairs, physical therapy and rehabilitation, diagnostic imaging scans, costs of emergency treatment, etc.
- Loss of wages. If you were too injured that you had to take time off work, you should be compensated for the earnings you lost during that time.
- Loss of future earning capacity if the injuries result in permanent injuries that prevent you from working after the accident. For instance, if you were a construction worker but are now wheelchair-bound.
- Loss of enjoyment of life. For example, if you enjoyed playing the piano but now can’t due to the injuries sustained.
- Emotional pain and mental anguish.
- Loss of consortium. These are damages collected on behalf of a loved one due to the loss of companionship and intimacy as a result of the accident.
Why Do You Need a Laguna Hills Personal Injury Lawyer?
You may think that you can handle a personal injury claim on your own but hiring an experienced attorney significantly increases your chances of winning the suit. In most instances, the guilty party accepts responsibility. However, their insurance company will try to make you settle for less than you deserve.
A Laguna Hills personal injury attorney will ensure that you get fair compensation. They will tailor their defense based on the unique details of your case and represent you aggressively. They are also highly knowledgeable about local laws.
Don’t Do These Things Before Filing a Laguna Hills Personal Injury Claim
Here are the top 3 mistakes that people make which end up harming their case;
- Leaving the scene of the accident: even when the accident seems minor, don’t leave the scene until the police file a report for you. You should also use this time to collect evidence, including eyewitness accounts and photos & videos of the scene.
- Failing to get medical attention: sometimes, the injuries aren’t always apparent or may seem minor. Seek medical attention as soon as you leave the scene. This will not only help your case but also keep you safe.
- Failing to hire a lawyer immediately: don’t speak to the insurance company without your lawyer present. They will only use your statement to deny you compensation, so make sure you conduct all communication through your lawyers.
How Our Laguna Hills CA Personal Injury Lawyer Near You Can Help
The complexity of personal injury cases in Laguna Hills often results in the victim accepting less compensation than they deserve. Our lawyers at Chris and Frank Accident Attorneys are committed to getting you the justice you deserve. When you hire us, you also get legal representation from a law firm that cares about your wellbeing.
Laguna Hills Practice Areas
Actual Client Testimonials
“I was very impressed with the professionalism of Chris and Frank. They helped me immensely on every step of a personal injury case from a rear end car accident. This was a first time for me and I didn’t know what to expect, I need not have worried. I would highly recommend this firm to anyone needing an experienced lawyer to assist them, my appreciation goes far beyond this review.” Nicole C.
Client Review: 5/5
Check out more reviews on Google!