Were You Involved In A Truck Accident in Laguna Hills?
If you or a loved one has been involved in a truck accident in Laguna Hills and you are unsure of what to do next, look no further. Speaking with our Laguna Hills truck accident lawyer can help guide you in the right direction and inform you of your legal rights and possibilities for compensation.
Our award-winning injury attorneys and professional staff are available to help you in your time of need and are here to discuss your case at your convenience. We are available to help you 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Table of Contents
2. Following A Laguna Hills Car Accident
3. Costs Of Laguna Hills Truck Accidents
4. Personal Economic Impact For Victims Of Truck Accidents
5. Determining Liability In A Laguna Hills Truck Accident
6. Common Injuries Sustained In A Laguna Hills Truck Accident
7. What Is Recoverable In A Laguna Hills Truck Accident?
8. Things To Consider After A Truck Accident in Laguna Hills
9. How Our Laguna Hills Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me Can Help
Over 870,170 people are employed in the trucking industry in California. Last year our state reported 143,000 drivers, this is the second-highest number of truckers in the country, and the profession is projected to grow by 12% by 2026. Driving through Orange County is not for the faint of heart. As our economy continues to thrive the number of trucks on our interstates, expressways and residential streets continue to grow as well.
$2.8 Trillion worth of goods are shipped to and from California every year, 68% of them by truck (TRIP NET)
Types of Trucks Causing Accidents in Laguna Hills
It is safe to say that trucks are everywhere, and commercial truck accidents can happen when you least expect them. Among the trucks found in Laguna Hills are:
- Moving vans
- Delivery trucks
- Tow trucks
- Dump trucks
- Garbage trucks
- Tanker trucks
Those trucks that operate in our residential neighborhoods, like delivery trucks, garbage trucks, and moving vans present a danger to pedestrians and cyclists as well as to other motor vehicles. Trucks we typically see in and around construction sites are usually filled with building materials and demolition debris, and tankers sometimes carry hazardous or toxic materials. In this instance, a rollover accident has the potential to cause toxic and dangerous environmental issues. Big rigs are especially dangerous and accident-prone. The sheer size of the vehicle, combined with a high center of gravity, numerous blind spots, and a potentially unstable cargo make an accident with a passenger car a no-win situation for all concerned. Tow trucks, usually managed by private operators, often weigh in excess of 10,000 pounds and are notoriously suspected of being driven by dangerously under-trained operators. At Chris And Frank Accident Attorneys we have substantial experience pursuing financial compensation on behalf of victims injured in truck accidents.
Following A Laguna Hills Car Accident
With few exceptions, the countdown for legal action on a personal injury claim begins with the immediate impact of the motor vehicle and continues for two years. Our legal system recognizes not all injuries are readily apparent following a motor vehicle accident. Some injuries, especially those resulting from head trauma, may not present for days, and maybe even weeks, later. In these instances, a Laguna Hills truck accident attorney can advise you of your legal rights to pursue compensation and file a request to re-start the clock so to speak. This is an intricate area of law. If you were hurt in a truck accident that was not your fault, give yourself and your family the best possible advantage. Seek legal counsel.
Costs Of Laguna Hills Truck Accidents
The comprehensive financial impact of a single truck accident in Laguna Hills and the surrounding areas is greater than one might think. In addition to the actual dollar value of any sustained injury and property damage, consider:
- The monetary value of emergency services, and law enforcement and fire department response costs
- The administrative costs of processing insurance company claims
- Court costs of civil litigation
- The value of traffic delay, travel time incurred by uninvolved motorists
- A loss of workplace productivity
- The cost of retraining or replacing injured employees
- Administrative costs of processing personnel changes.
Personal Economic Impact For Victims Of Truck Accidents
- The cost of hiring a replacement for lost productive household activities
- The cost of lost wages and benefits
- The cost of all medical treatment, including emergency room and inpatient stays
- Physical therapy
- Adaptive devices
- Home modifications
- Lost quality of life
- The cost to repair or replace damaged property
Our results speak volumes. Our preparation, dedication, and commitment to excellence, and our ability to employ a skilled team of trial attorneys and the necessary experts provide you with a strong voice when the facts are strategically presented to the insurance company or the jury.
Determining Liability In A Laguna Hills Truck Accident
There are multiple layers to catastrophic motor vehicle accidents. Determining liability is not always obvious, and in some cases, there may even be more than one person or entity who can be found culpable. For example:
Possible Causes Of Laguna Hills Accidents By A Truck Driver
- Aggressive driving
- Driving while impaired
- Being in violation of federal regulations
- Distracted driving
Possible Causes Of Trucking Accidents By Trucking Company
Trucking companies are ultimately responsible for the actions of those in their employ. Commercial trucking companies have federally mandated requirements when it comes to placing drivers and large commercial vehicles on the road. The company may be held liable for accidents caused by:
- Unqualified drivers
- Drivers with a positive drug or alcohol test
- Drivers with certain untreated or out of control medical issues
- Forcing a driver to violate the hours of service rule
- A lack of sufficient training or supervision
- Failure to inspect a truck
The federally mandated hours of service rule limits the amount of time a driver is allowed to stay on the road. For example:
- Drivers are restricted to working 60 hours in a consecutive 7-day period — or 70 hours in an 8-day stretch.
- Drivers hauling merchandise may only drive 11 hours after taking a 10-hour off-duty break. Those truckers who have a passenger with them must limit his or her daily drive to 10 hours after an 8-hour off-duty break.
Additionally, all commercial truck drivers are required, by law, to take a 30-minute rest break after 8 hours of consecutive driving.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reported a study conducted by the University of Pennsylvania revealing 28% of commercial truck drivers have a form of sleep apnea. Symptoms of sleep apnea include excessive daytime fatigue and problems with concentration. Fatigue impacts performance and reaction time. A fatigued driver is a danger, not only to themselves but to all drivers who share the road with his or her rig.
Some trucking companies outsource loading responsibilities to a third-party corporation. Unbalanced loads make maneuverability problematic, and may lead to a roll-over accident, or even a head-on collision. Tractor-trailers need to be securely hitched to the cab to prevent disengagement.
At Chris And Frank Accident Attorneys we thoroughly investigate:
- The truck’s “black box”
- Driver’s log boo
- Video evidence from dash cameras
- Vehicle inspection reports
- The trucker’s driving record
- The trucker’s drug screen test results
A Defective Product Can Cause A Truck Accident
Vehicle and part manufacturers may be held responsible for a truck’s system failure resulting from a defective part. Accidents caused by defective parts or equipment could have been prevented. Among other things, a defective product can result in:
- Transmission and brake failure
- Steering system failure
- Defective lighting
- Tire blowouts
- Poor roadway designs
- Inclement weather
- Broken guardrails
- Lack of infrastructure maintenance
- Obstructed views
City, town, and government agencies are required to keep Orange County’s roadways safe for drivers. Potholes need to be repaired in a timely manner, dangerous debris should never be allowed to remain on highways, interstates, and secondary or residential roads. Infrastructure maintenance is expected, and in all of these cases, negligence is never acceptable. Traffic lights need to be in working order, warning signs should be clearly visible, and guardrails must be in place where appropriate. This is our city too, and our own families utilize the roadways in and around Orange County.
Common Injuries Sustained In A Laguna Hills Truck Accident
- Fractured and broken bones
- Soft tissue damage (including whiplash and neck pain)
- Internal organ damage
- Permanent disfigurement
- Facial injuries
- Nerve damage
- Crush injuries
- Traumatic head and brain injuries
- Injuries resulting in amputation
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Psychological distress (such as PTSD)
- Vision or hearing loss
- Fatal injuries
Injuries sustained in a truck accident are sometimes life-threatening, and frequently life-altering. It is possible to take months for some victims to heal, and unfortunately, some may never fully recover. A head injury can result in a concussion, coma, and permanent brain damage, and/or personality changes. Spinal cord damage may lead to temporary or permanent paralysis, they often require prolonged treatment and rehabilitation. The sheer force of a motor vehicle accident, especially a crash with a large truck, can damage the lungs, liver, kidneys, bladder, and spleen, resulting in respiratory distress, urinary problems, internal hemorrhage, cardiac problems, and ultimately, death.
Emotional injuries are very real, legally recognized, and common following a traumatic event. It is not uncommon for a victim of a catastrophic accident to experience:
- Loss of appetite
- Sexual dysfunction
What Is Recoverable In A Laguna Hills Truck Accident?
What is potentially recoverable in a truck accident? Everything you paid out of pocket that was directly related to the incident, and possibly more.
Following a truck accident, the health of injured passengers is paramount. We can’t emphasize this enough — first and foremost seek medical attention and follow all the doctor’s recommendations. That being said, health care is expensive and recovery comes at a price. We believe no family should have to bear the cost of someone else’s negligence. Our lawyers are standing by, ready to evaluate your case to see if we can help you and your family receive maximum compensation for your injuries, You have a right to recovery for:
- Current medical expenses
- Projected health care costs
- Assistive devices
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Any documented out-of-pocket expense
Non-Economic damages (a.k.a. pain and suffering)
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional damage
In a California wrongful death claim, a surviving spouse, or domestic partner may request financial compensation for:
- Funeral costs
- Medical expenses incurred prior to death
- Anticipated benefits if he or she survived the accident
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of emotional support
- Loss of the deceased’s financial contribution to the household
Filing a wrongful death claim is a complex undertaking. There is a hierarchy of eligible claimants as well as many legal restrictions and requirements.
Things To Consider After A Truck Accident in Laguna Hills
- Don’t sign anything before consulting with an attorney. The claim investigator for the other person’s insurance company will often tell a victim they are required to obtain a signature to “open a claim,” or that it is a HIPAA requirement, Sometimes an insurance request will contain a request for a victim’s entire medical record. Early on in a case, only those medical records directly connected with the accident may be all that is needed.
- Social media posts about the accident can be used against you. Speak only with your own insurance carriers (both auto and medical), your physicians, and your lawyer.
- Filing a personal injury claim takes time. Settling too quickly can leave a family with unexpected expenses.
- Don’t downplay whiplash. Although some think of whiplash as self-limiting (and in actuality, it is) it is painful and debilitating. Whiplash can cause pain in the neck, shoulders, back, and arms. Limited range of motion is to be expected with whiplash, as is headache, fatigue, and sleep disturbances.
How Our Laguna Hills Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me Can Help
We are thorough in our investigation. Our entire staff fully understands the huge impact a catastrophic accident has on your life. We start at the beginning, and every detail is important in determining how the accident happened, and who or what may be the cause. From the accident scene photographs and any available surveillance videos our investigative staff is able to evaluate:
- Time, speed, and position of all the vehicles involved
- The directions of force
- The speed at the point of impact
- Acceleration of the vehicles
- Weights of the vehicles
- Dimensions of the vehicles
- Steering and braking information
- Surface condition at the time of impact
- Weather conditions
We review police and ambulance reports, interview potential witnesses, scrutinize medical records, and request documents and evidence from the trucking company. We file all required court documents and aggressively negotiates with The trucking companies insurance carrier. We remain in close contact with your health care providers to ensure no long-term medical costs are overlooked or devalued. In the event we are unable to reach a fair and just settlement with the insurance company we will initiate litigation on your behalf.
If your family is living with the consequences of a crash involving a truck, contact us today to schedule a FREE consultation by calling 949-339-1255 or filling out our free online case evaluation. We are here to listen to your story, and advise you about any legal options available to you. We want you to recover the compensation you deserve.
Actual Client Testimonials
“I was very impressed with the professionalism of Chris and Frank. They helped me immensely on every step of a personal injury case from a rear end car accident. This was a first time for me and I didn’t know what to expect, I need not have worried. I would highly recommend this firm to anyone needing an experienced lawyer to assist them, my appreciation goes far beyond this review.” Nicole C.
Client Review: 5/5
Check out more reviews on Google!