Riverside Boat Accident Attorney
Boating is an enjoyable pastime in California, and there are many locations throughout the Riverside, CA, area where boating is possible. However, if you enjoy taking your watercraft out on the water with friends and family, it’s vital to understand the risks of boating accidents and know what to do if you experience one. Boating accidents are capable of causing severe injuries and expensive damages.
Legal Counsel for Riverside, CA, Boat Accident Victims
The attorneys at Chris and Frank comprise a team of Riverside boat accident lawyers who can provide the legal counsel you need after experiencing a boating accident in the Riverside, CA, area. We understand the devastating injuries and substantial economic losses these incidents often cause and the uncertainty that most victims experience following these damaging incidents. Our team can provide the legal guidance you need to secure compensation for your losses.
Why Do I Need a Riverside Boating Accident Lawyer?
It’s natural to wonder whether you need to hire an attorney after a boating accident in the Riverside area. If another boater caused your accident, it might seem readily apparent who is responsible for your damages. However, even the most seemingly straightforward boating accident claims can pose significant legal challenges to victims and families.
If you attempt to handle your claim on your own, you must do so while simultaneously managing the effects of your accident. These effects might include extensive medical treatment, inability to work, and mounting financial pressure at home caused by these damages. Meeting the court’s procedural requirements will be very difficult under these conditions, and even small mistakes can significantly delay securing compensation for your losses.
The sooner you connect with an experienced Riverside boat accident lawyer, the better your chances will be of successfully navigating your case and securing the compensation you and your family deserve.
Common Causes of Boating Accidents in California
Operating any watercraft requires care and appropriate training. You should never attempt to operate any watercraft without adequate instruction and practical experience. This is especially true if you intend to take passengers on your boat. Some of the most commonly reported causes of boat accidents in California include:
- Boater errors. Boat operators must manage their vessels carefully. Negligent errors can easily result in devastating boating accidents that injure the operator, their passengers, and occupants of other vessels involved in an accident.
- Intoxication. California’s driving under the influence (DUI) laws apply to boats the same way they apply to motor vehicles on the road. Therefore, if a boat operator causes an accident due to intoxication from drugs or alcohol, they will face criminal charges for DUI in addition to liability for the victims’ civil damages.
- Ineffective safety equipment. All boats must have appropriate safety gear on board, including life jackets for every occupant, emergency flares, fire extinguishers, and first aid supplies. In addition, boat owners should regularly inspect their safety equipment to ensure everything is safe and functional.
- Wakes. When a boat moves at moderate to high speed on the water, it will produce a wave called a “wake.” Many of the waterways around Riverside are “no-wake zones” that prohibit boaters from exceeding speeds that generate wakes.
- Distraction. Distracted boating can be just as dangerous as distracted driving. Boat operators must be aware of their surroundings and stay alert for submerged hazards, nearby swimmers, and other watercraft.
Any of these issues can potentially result in a boating accident. In addition, these incidents can cause many severe injuries to those involved, some of which may be life-threatening.
Damages and Compensation for Your Boat Accident Injury Case in Riverside
Boat accidents can easily result in many of the same injuries people suffer in motor vehicle accidents. In addition, the water itself poses hazards, especially for children and those who cannot swim well. Some of the most commonly reported boat accident injuries in California include:
- Injuries from drowning. While it’s possible to save a person’s life from drowning with immediate resuscitation, drowning results in oxygen deprivation that may cause brain damage.
- Burns and explosion-related injuries. If a fire breaks out on board, boat passengers may suffer burns. Critical mechanical failures can even cause explosions that result in devastating injuries.
- Bone fractures. Crash impact forces can easily cause broken bones, some of which can result in chronic pain and nerve damage. In addition, some bone fractures will require extensive rehabilitation.
- Facial and dental injuries. If a boat crashes, occupants may fall and strike their faces into the hard surfaces of the boat’s interior. Facial and dental injuries often require surgical correction and may result in permanent disfigurement.
- Traumatic brain injuries. Any vehicle crash can easily result in head injuries. A traumatic brain injury can pose long-term medical complications to victims, some of which may interfere with their ability to work and live independently.
- Injuries from exposure. Suppose you experience a boat accident and are left stranded in open water for an extended time. In that case, it’s possible to suffer injuries from overexposure to the sun, such as sunstroke or heat exhaustion. It’s also possible to suffer injuries from dehydration if you do not have fresh drinkable water on board.
These injuries can easily result in tremendous medical expenses and other economic damages. Your Riverside boat accident lawyer can help you hold the party responsible for causing the accident accountable for your medical expenses, both immediate and long term. You can also claim compensation for lost income if your injuries prevent you from working for an extended time during recovery. If you suffered a catastrophic injury that caused permanent damage, you would have the right to claim compensation for your lost earning potential if you could not resume your job due to your injuries.
California law allows personal injury plaintiffs to claim compensation for physical pain, emotional distress, and trauma resulting from a defendant’s actions. Your attorney will carefully review your claim to determine an appropriate amount of pain and suffering to include, potentially increasing your overall recovery by a substantial amount.
FAQs About Riverside Boating Accident Laws
The attorneys at Chris and Frank understand that boating accident victims are likely to have many questions about their legal rights after experiencing personal injuries. The following are some of the most common questions we hear from prospective clients about boat accidents in the Riverside, CA, area.
Who Is Liable in a Boating Accident?
Determining liability is the first step toward recovery from a boating accident. Your Riverside boat accident lawyer will carefully review the details of your accident, including the police report, to help you determine who is responsible for causing your damages. More than one party can bear fault for a boating accident.
What Do You Do If Someone Hits Your Boat?
If someone hits your boat, you should immediately stop and check yourself and your passengers for injuries. Contact the police department, which should dispatch boat officers to investigate the accident. It’s also a good idea to take photos of your injuries, the damage to your boat, and the surrounding area. These photos could be helpful in a subsequent insurance claim or personal injury claim against the operator of the other boat.
What Should I Do After a Boating Accident?
Report the accident immediately. Once you get to shore and the police allow you to leave, see a doctor as soon as possible, even if you believe your injuries are mild. You could have sustained injuries that are not immediately noticeable or internal injuries that will worsen without proper medical examination and treatment. Once you have handled your health and safety concerns, contact an experienced Riverside boat accident lawyer to discuss your legal options.
What Is the Most Common Boat Accident?
The United States Coast Guard reports that the most common cause of boat accidents in the US is operator inattention. Failure to pay close attention to water conditions and the boat’s surroundings can easily result in devastating boat accidents.
If you or a loved one have recently experienced a boat accident in the Riverside, CA, area, you probably have many other questions specific to your situation. A Riverside boat accident attorney is the best resource for the answers you need to your most important legal questions.
Find Legal Counsel Today
Time is a critical factor for any personal injury claim in California. State law provides a two-year statute of limitations in which a victim has to file a claim against the party they believe to be responsible for causing their damages. This may seem like plenty of time in which to file a claim, but it may take longer than you initially expect to uncover the full scope of your claimable damages. The sooner you begin the claim process, the more likely you are to meet this time limit and secure the compensation you deserve from your boat accident in Riverside.
The attorneys at Chris and Frank have years of experience assisting our Riverside, CA, area clients with a wide range of personal injury claims, including claims resulting from boat accidents. If you are struggling with expensive medical bills, the inability to work, and severe pain from your recent boat accident, we can help you recover. Contact Chris and Frank today to schedule a consultation with our team to learn more about your options for legal recourse following a boat accident.
- Riverside Personal Injury Lawyer
- Riverside Car Accident Lawyer
- Riverside Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Riverside Truck Accident Lawyer
- Riverside Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Riverside Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Riverside Uber Accident Lawyer
- Riverside Lyft Accident Lawyer
- Riverside Boat Accident Lawyer
- Riverside Bus Accident Lawyer
- Riverside Construction Accident Lawyer
- Riverside Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer
- Riverside Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Riverside Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Riverside Dog Bite Lawyer
Actual Client Testimonials
“This is the best firm to go to. They will fight for your rights to be compensated. I have a loved one that used them. They treat you like you are one of their own family members. I highly recommend them. To be honest I wouldn’t use any other firm.” Jeff E.
Client Review: 5/5
Check out more reviews on Google!