Riverside Uber Accidents Lawyer
Uber has become one of the most popular transportation methods in the United States over the past few years. Ridesharing services such as Uber and Lyft have provided many Americans with clean driving records a relatively easy way of making extra income and helped many people avoid commuting costs and taxi fees when they need rides around California. However, while rideshare services like Uber offer convenience and many other advantages, they have also posed many problems to residents of Riverside and the rest of the US. Specifically, questions of liability often arise when an Uber experiences an accident.
Uber accidents have led to extensive legislation over the past few years, most of which focused on the rideshare company’s liability for accidents caused by hired drivers. Today, Uber offers insurance protection for accidents with a few critical conditions. For example, suppose you or a loved one recently suffered injuries and experienced other losses from an Uber accident in the Riverside, CA, area. In that case, it’s vital to understand how Uber insurance works and what your legal options are for securing compensation for your losses.
Is It Worth Getting a Lawyer for a Car Accident with an Uber Driver?
It’s common for California drivers to experience minor car accidents that result in nothing beyond minor cosmetic damage to the vehicles involved. For example, if someone grazed your vehicle parking or dented your bumper without causing injury, there is little reason to take legal action against them. Most drivers are capable of settling these matters between themselves through insurance. However, more severe accidents typically demand more extensive legal actions. Additionally, Uber’s insurance can come into play depending on the nature of the Uber driver’s involvement in an accident.
Uber accident cases often involve complex questions about insurance coverage. Depending on how the accident occurred, this may include the at-fault driver’s insurance, the victim’s insurance policy, Uber’s insurance, or a combination of several policies. Determining liability and applicable insurance coverage is often difficult in these cases, and Uber generally strives to avoid assuming liability for accidents involving their drivers whenever possible. Having an experienced Riverside Uber accident lawyer on your side in this situation is incredibly beneficial, allowing you to navigate difficult insurance-related questions more efficiently and increasing the chances of obtaining maximum recovery for your damages.
What Can a Riverside Uber Accident Attorney Do for Me?
An experienced Riverside Uber accident lawyer can provide several advantages. First, you can rely on your legal team to help you determine liability for your losses. If you intend to hold another party accountable for your rideshare accident, you must be able to prove they are responsible for causing the accident. Your attorney can potentially help you gather evidence, including traffic camera footage, vehicle computer data, driver cell phone records, and eyewitness testimony to help you establish liability for your rideshare accident.
Once you know who is responsible for your injuries, your legal team will then move to helping you prove the full extent of your damages and determining the best way to collect compensation for them. For example, car accidents generally cause several types of economic damages, including:
- Medical expenses. The plaintiff in a car accident claim can claim compensation for all medical expenses resulting from an accident. This includes immediate medical expenses like hospital bills and anticipated long-term costs such as rehabilitation, physical therapy, and other necessary ongoing treatments.
- Lost income. An injured plaintiff can claim lost income resulting from an accident. For example, if you were unable to work following a car accident, you have the right to recover wages lost during your recovery. Additionally, your attorney can help you recover lost future earning potential if your injuries have left you permanently disabled and unable to work at all in the future.
- Property damage. If your rideshare accident damaged any of your personal property, you could claim repair and replacement costs in your personal injury claim.
California law also allows personal injury plaintiffs to recover compensation for non-economic damages as well. If your injuries caused physical pain and the experience of your accident was psychologically traumatic, California state law allows you to add pain and suffering damages to your claim. The amount you receive typically depends on the severity of your injuries, whether you experience any long-term medical complications from the incident in question, and the severity of your accident. For example, suppose you sustained $200,000 in medical expenses due to your injuries. In that case, your attorney could potentially help you secure several times this amount in pain and suffering compensation to reflect the severity of your experience.
Securing legal representation from an experienced Riverside Uber accident lawyer may reveal that your accident value is much more than you initially expected. However, the first step toward recovery after an auto accident in California is typically an insurance claim. Since insurance issues can be incredibly complex following Uber accidents in Riverside, CA, this is yet another reason it is crucial to have legal counsel you can trust after experiencing an Uber accident.
Can You Sue if Your Rideshare Gets in an Accident?
You have the right to take legal action after a rideshare accident, but you may not be able to directly sue Uber or another rideshare company. Uber enacted insurance protection several years ago due to rising concerns over liability for rideshare accidents. Previously, Uber required their drivers to maintain their own auto insurance policies that would take effect if drivers experienced accidents. However, public outcry followed by sweeping legislation later compelled Uber and other rideshare companies to assume greater liability for their drivers’ actions. So today, Uber offers insurance protection under very strict conditions.
Your Riverside Uber accident attorney will first help you determine liability for the accident before moving to discern which insurance coverage applies to the incident. If available insurance is not enough to fully compensate your losses, then you would need to file a personal injury claim against the party or parties responsible for your accident to recover the remainder.
Does Uber Compensate for Accidents in Riverside, CA?
Uber’s insurance policy applies differently depending on the status of the driver involved in the accident in question:
- If the Uber driver is offline or the Uber app is closed when an accident occurs, the Uber driver’s own auto insurance policy will apply in the accident.
- If the Uber driver is logged into the Uber app and available or waiting for a ride request, Uber’s first tier of insurance protection applies if an accident occurs. This protection includes third-party liability coverage if the driver’s own insurance does not apply, which provides $50,000 in bodily injury liability coverage per person, $100,000 in bodily injury liability coverage per accident, and $25,000 in property damage liability coverage.
- Once an Uber driver is on the way to pick up a passenger or is driving a passenger to their destination, the second tier of Uber’s coverage applies. This coverage includes up to $1,000,000 in third-party liability coverage, underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage, and contingent comprehensive and collision coverage for the Uber driver’s vehicle with a $2,500 deductible.
Put simply, if you are riding as a passenger in an Uber and an accident occurs due to the fault of your Uber driver, you could receive up to $1,000,000 in compensation under Uber’s insurance protection.
What to Do If Your Uber Is in an Accident
If you experience a car accident as an Uber passenger, the first steps you take following the incident can significantly impact your recovery. First, you should call 911 immediately to report the crash. This will ensure a police report for the incident and establish a record of the accident. Next, if possible, you should take photos of the accident scene, being sure to capture shots of your injuries, the damage to the vehicles involved, and the positions of the vehicles on the road. These photos could be crucial later if anyone questions liability for the accident.
Wait for the police to arrive and answer any questions they ask honestly and concisely. You should also obtain the contact information of every driver involved in the accident. Do not speak with any insurance companies, including Uber, before speaking with an experienced Riverside Uber accident lawyer. Your attorney can advise you of the best way to approach an insurance claim and help you determine whether you will need to take further legal action beyond insurance.
Possible Damages in a Car Accident Injuries Case
Motor vehicle accidents continue to be a leading cause of accidental injuries and deaths throughout the United States. Whether your recent car accident involved an Uber driver or any other motorist, you should know what to expect regarding the potential damages you could recover from a successful lawsuit. Uber’s insurance protection will apply to riders’ damages regardless of whether the Uber driver was at fault for causing the accident. However, there is no guarantee that available coverage will be enough to fully cover all your losses resulting from the crash. In addition, some car accidents cause catastrophic injuries that cause life-changing medical complications for victims. Some car accident victims may be completely unable to work for many years or the rest of their lives. Their injuries can also be excruciating, and the experience of a severe car accident can be traumatizing.
California state law allows a car accident victim to recover compensation for all losses resulting from another party’s negligence. These damages can include:
- Medical expenses, including those incurred immediately after an accident and long-term medical expenses for required ongoing treatments.
- Lost income, including lost earning potential, if a plaintiff cannot return to work due to the severity of their injuries.
- Property damage compensates a plaintiff for the loss of any personal property damaged or destroyed in the accident.
- Pain and suffering compensation seeks to address the plaintiff’s physical pain and psychological trauma resulting from their accident.
- Punitive damages, if the judge handling the case believes the defendant’s behavior exceeds the definition of typical negligence or if the defendant was engaged in criminal behavior when they caused the accident.
In most car accident cases, the injured victim’s first step toward recovery is an insurance claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance. However, depending on how your Uber accident occurred, Uber’s rider protection insurance may or may not come into play for your accident. Additionally, if your accident involves any other type of insurance coverage, dealing with insurance companies without an attorney can be very difficult, especially when you are struggling with the aftermath of your accident.
What to Expect From the Best Riverside Uber Accident Attorneys
When you need to take legal action to ensure your recovery from an Uber accident in Riverside, CA, it’s vital to have legal counsel you can trust. The team at Chris and Frank have years of experience handling a wide range of car accident claims, and in recent years we have assisted many clients in navigating the complexities of Uber accidents. We can apply this experience to your case, helping you answer difficult insurance-related questions and guiding you toward the fullest recovery possible under California state law.
Your attorney will help you gather the evidence you need to prove liability for your damages. This can include car computer data, driver cell phone records, traffic camera footage, and eyewitness statements from anyone who saw the accident occur. Your attorney will also help you calculate the full scope of your claimable damages, helping to ensure that you do not settle for a lowball case award. Depending on how the Uber accident occurred, liability may not be immediately evident, or the defendant may contest the scope of the damages you intend to secure with your claim. Chris and Frank can consult with various expert witnesses if necessary to support your case. For example, engineers and accident reconstruction experts can help establish liability for an Uber accident. In addition, medical professionals can help the court understand the full impact of your injuries and how they will likely affect your life.
While the majority of car accident claims settle outside the courtroom, litigation isn’t always avoidable. If you need an Uber accident attorney who can handle taking your case to court, Chris and Frank are ready to do whatever is necessary to ensure your recovery. We understand the frustration and uncertainty that follows most car accidents. If you are unsure who is responsible for your recent accident, or if you don’t know how to calculate your claimable damages, we are here to help. Once you’re ready to speak with an experienced Riverside Uber accident lawyer about your situation, contact Chris and Frank and schedule a free consultation with our team.
Riverside Practice Areas
- Riverside Personal Injury Lawyer
- Riverside Car Accident Lawyer
- Riverside Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Riverside Truck Accident Lawyer
- Riverside Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Riverside Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Riverside Uber Accident Lawyer
- Riverside Lyft Accident Lawyer
- Riverside Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Riverside Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Riverside Dog Bite Lawyer
Actual Client Testimonials
“This is the best firm to go to. They will fight for your rights to be compensated. I have a loved one that used them. They treat you like you are one of their own family members. I highly recommend them. To be honest I wouldn’t use any other firm.” Jeff E.
Client Review: 5/5
Check out more reviews on Google!