Boating is a popular activity throughout California, and the San Diego area is home to several locations for enjoying the water, such as the San Diego Bay. However, while boating can be fun, it is also inherently dangerous for several reasons. Therefore, it’s vital for everyone who gets on a boat in San Diego, CA, to understand the risks they face and their legal options if they experience boating accidents.
Have You Been Injured in a San Diego, CA, Boating Accident?
Boating accidents can be more damaging than many people realize. If you or a loved one has suffered injuries and economic losses from a boating accident someone else caused, you could have grounds for a personal injury claim against them. The lawyers at Chris and Frank offer years of experience handling complex civil claims on behalf of our clients throughout the San Diego, CA, area, and we can apply our experience to your boating accident claim.
Why Do I Need a San Diego Boat Accident Lawyer?
Many people who experience personal injuries wonder whether they need legal representation to secure compensation for their losses. While it’s technically possible to handle a boating accident claim on your own without an attorney representing you, this route poses serious risks to your recovery. Making even slight errors in your case’s procedural requirements could lead to significant delays in the court’s handling of your case or even result in your complaint being thrown out on a technicality. Even if you succeed with your case, you could unintentionally settle for less than you should due to a lack of formal legal experience.
Hiring a San Diego boat accident lawyer is the best way to not only ensure success with your personal injury claim but also the best way to maximize your recovery to the fullest extent possible. Your legal team will help you establish liability for your damages and provide evidence that shows the full scope of those damages. In addition, Chris and Frank can provide responsive and detail-oriented legal advice through the most challenging stages of your case.
Who Is Liable in a Boating Accident?
Boating accidents can happen for many reasons. However, some of the most commonly reported causes of boating accidents in the San Diego, CA, area include:
- Boat operator negligence. Anyone who operates a watercraft in California, whether for personal pleasure or as a paid service to others, must do so with the appropriate license, experience, and care. When boat operators fail to responsibly operate their vessels and speed, take sharp turns, or engage in reckless behaviors, they can easily injure themselves, their passengers, and others nearby.
- Operating a boat under the influence of alcohol or drugs. California’s DUI laws apply to boating the same way they apply to motor vehicles on the roads. When a boater causes a boat accident due to intoxication, they face criminal prosecution for DUI and civil liability for victims’ damages.
- Violations of “no-wake” zone policies. Many waterways have “no wake” signs posted that require boat operators to maintain slower speeds, so their vessels do not create wakes or large waves from the water displacement the boat creates as it moves through the water. Wakes can injure swimmers and damage other boats, potentially resulting in accidents.
- Watercraft malfunctions. Boat owners must ensure their watercraft are properly maintained and safe to operate before every outing. A mechanical failure could cause a fire to break out on board or leave the boat occupants stranded and unable to return to shore, potentially resulting in injuries from exposure.
- Lack of functional safety equipment. A boat should have a lifejacket that fits appropriately for every occupant. Boat owners should also have fire extinguishers, emergency flares, and tools required for sudden maintenance issues. A lack of safety equipment of any kind could easily result in severe injuries in an emergency.
These are just a few examples of how boating accidents can happen in the San Diego, CA, area. Suppose you have suffered injuries in a boating accident that you believe occurred due to another party’s negligence. In that case, you likely have grounds for a personal injury claim to recover your damages.
Damages and Compensation for Boat Accident Damages
Boating accidents can easily cause severe injuries, including drowning-related injuries, burns, broken bones, and traumatic brain injuries, to name just a few. If you were injured in a boating accident someone else caused, you could hold them accountable for any medical expenses you incur to treat your injuries. Additionally, if your injuries prevent you from working while you recover, you can claim lost income as well. Your attorney can also assist you in securing compensation for lost future earning potential if you develop a permanent disability due to your accident.
California’s personal injury laws also allow a plaintiff to recover compensation for physical pain and emotional trauma resulting from a defendant’s negligence. The amount received depends on the severity of their injuries and whether they are likely to experience long-term or permanent complications. When you choose Chris and Frank to represent you, your San Diego boat accident attorneys will help you explore every available avenue of compensation open in your claim.
What to Expect From Your San Diego Boat Accident Lawyer
Determining liability for your recent boating accident may not be as easy as you initially expected. No matter what your boating accident claim entails, having the right attorney on your side significantly increases the chances of success with your claim. Chris and Frank have years of experience handling challenging personal injury cases on behalf of our San Diego, CA, area clients, and we are ready to put this experience to work for you.
We understand that every victim’s story is unique, and your boating accident has likely had a dramatic impact on your life and your family. Our goal is to learn as much as possible about your situation to provide the most personalized legal representation we can. We’ll handle the preliminary stages of your claim and help you prepare for each phase of the case as it unfolds. Finally, we’ll help you explore every option for recovery available to you under California law to maximize your recovery so you can move on with peace of mind.
It’s natural to have lots of questions following a boat accident in San Diego, CA. Our goal is to provide the answers you need and help you approach your recovery process with confidence. If you are ready to discuss your legal options with an experienced team of San Diego boat accident lawyers, contact Chris and Frank today to schedule your case evaluation.
- San Diego Personal Injury Lawyer
- San Diego Car Accident Lawyer
- San Diego Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- San Diego Truck Accident Lawyer
- San Diego Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- San Diego Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- San Diego Rideshare Accident Lawyer
- San Diego Boat Accident Lawyer
- San Diego Bus Accident Lawyer
- San Diego Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
- San Diego Wrongful Death Lawyer
- San Diego Dog Bite Lawyer
- San Diego Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer
Actual Client Testimonials
“This is the best firm to go to. They will fight for your rights to be compensated. I have a loved one that used them. They treat you like you are one of their own family members. I highly recommend them. To be honest I wouldn’t use any other firm.” Jeff E.
Client Review: 5/5
Check out more reviews on Google!