Santa Ana, CA, is a beautiful and popular part of Orange County, but it is essential for everyone living and working in the area to understand the risks they face when driving. The latest accident statistics and traffic reports from federal and state agencies indicate that Santa Ana drivers face many hazards every day. While most drivers are fortunate enough to reach their destinations safely, others are not so fortunate and suffer extreme damage from accidents.
Reviewing Santa Ana’s car accident statistics into 2022 can help drivers better understand the most significant risk factors on the road in the area. Reports from various agencies highlight the most common causes of traffic accidents in the area. Chris and Frank Accident Attorneys keep close tabs on the latest accident data, so we know what risks our clients and potential clients face.
Most Common Causes of Car Accidents in Santa Ana, CA
Some drivers experience accidents from their own negligence or from losing control of their vehicle unexpectedly due to forces beyond their control. However, when another driver is responsible for injuring you, damaging your vehicle, and causing a host of long-term losses, this incident can lead to a protracted legal battle in the civil court system. The determining factor regarding whether you have grounds to sue for a car accident is fault. Some of the most commonly reported causes of car accidents in the Santa Ana, CA, area that lead to personal injury claims include:
- Distracted driving, which is the top-cited cause of all motor vehicle accidents in the US each year. Even a few seconds of distracted driving can cause a devastating accident. Your attorney can help you gather the evidence you require to prove fault for a distracted driving accident in Santa Ana.
- Driving under the influence (DUI) of drugs or alcohol. This is illegal and highly dangerous for both the intoxicated driver and everyone around them. DUI is not only one of the most commonly reported causes of all vehicle accidents in California but is also responsible for a large share of all fatal accidents throughout the state. An at-fault driver in a DUI accident case faces criminal charges in addition to responsibility for the victim’s losses.
- Speeding and moving violations. It is illegal to exceed posted speed limits. If a driver speeds, they may not have time or space to avoid a crash if traffic conditions suddenly change. Similarly, when drivers commit moving violations like illegal turns, failing to yield the right of way, or running stop signs, they can easily cause crashes. Drivers responsible for such accidents may face liability for other drivers’ resulting damages and criminal charges for reckless driving.
Every year, Santa Ana, CA, sees a tremendous amount of property damage, medical treatment costs, and strain on infrastructure due to traffic accidents. Despite the area leadership’s best efforts to curb the number of accidents each year, 2022 accident data is likely to increase overall accidents and associated damages over 2021 based on current trends. If you believe another party is responsible for your recent car accident in Santa Ana, you should know how to hold them accountable with a personal injury claim and how an experienced attorney can help you with this process.
Recovery From a Santa Ana, CA, Car Accident
California enforces a fault rule for resolving car accidents. This means that whoever is responsible for causing an accident is liable for the resulting damages. Auto insurance is generally the first step in recovery from a car accident in California. An injured driver can file a claim against an at-fault driver’s auto insurance policy, potentially recovering compensation for their vehicle repair costs and medical expenses. However, insurance is unlikely to be able to cover the full scope of damages that may result from a serious accident.
If you cannot recover total compensation for your losses through a car insurance claim, a Santa Ana personal injury attorney can help you build a civil case against the driver who injured you. While an insurance claim can provide some relief from vehicle repair bills and medical expenses, a personal injury claim can enable a fuller recovery. Some of the damages you may be able to obtain with a successful car accident claim include:
- Medical expenses, both immediate and future.
- Lost income.
- Lost future earning capacity if you sustained a permanent injury.
- Property losses.
- Pain and suffering, which can be calculated based on the severity of your injury and its likelihood of causing long-term or permanent effects.
Each year, hundreds of insurance claims for car accidents are filed in the Santa Ana, CA, area, and many of these incidents also generate personal injury cases. The right attorney can help you determine the best options for recovering your losses after a car accident in the area.
Avoiding Santa Ana Car Accidents in 2022
A few best practices can help you limit your car accident risk this year. However, it is important to note that despite your best efforts to drive safely, you can never fully anticipate the actions of other drivers nearby. Driving defensively is one of the best things you can do to limit your risk of having an accident in Santa Ana or prevent yourself from incurring liability for an accident. “Defensive driving” simply refers to driving cautiously and attentively. A defensive driver stays to the right whenever possible and follows posted speed limits and other traffic signals. They do not engage with hostile or aggressive drivers and do their best to safely maintain traffic flow.
Drivers should also give themselves plenty of time to reach their destinations so they do not feel compelled to rush; they should always refrain from driving after consuming drugs or alcohol. While you may not be able to prevent other drivers from being negligent behind the wheel, operating your own vehicle as safely as possible limits your risk of liability for an accident.
Chris and Frank Accident Attorneys have years of experience handling car accident cases in Santa Ana, and we can help you recover from your recent accident. Contact us today to schedule your consultation with an attorney who can help you understand your legal options in this situation.