Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft have increased in popularity dramatically in recent years. Unfortunately, with the increase in demand also comes an increase in accidents involving these services. Many people have heard horror stories about rideshare accidents involving Lyft or Uber drivers and how difficult it is to get compensation for injuries that are not their fault.
Rideshare Accident Attorneys in Orange County, we want to offer some helpful advice for what you can do after a rideshare accident to preserve your rights and get the compensation that you deserve.
Tips for What to Do After a Rideshare Accident
· Call 911 – The first thing you should do after an auto accident is call 911. Have police fill out a report, which is a legal record of what happened. Make sure you get the police officer’s information.
· Get Medical Care – Even if you aren’t sure how seriously you are injured, you should get medical care after a rideshare accident. Tell your doctor about the accident, so it is documented in your medical records. Keep copies of all medical records, visit summaries, lab reports, and invoices.
· Document the Accident – Write down when and where the accident occurred. Were other vehicles involved? If so, write down the license plate information and a general description. Were other people involved? If so, write down their name, contact information, and driver’s license number.
· Take Photos – If you can, take photos of the accident scene. Include the vehicles involved, damage, landmarks, and any structural damage nearby.
· Document your Trip – You may have a record of your Uber or Lyft ride in your phone, but you need firm documentation that you were a passenger at the time of your accident. Take screenshots of your app or receipts, and document your driver’s information.
Contact an Attorney – Rideshare accidents are handled differently than most other auto accidents. Rideshare drivers are not employees, so there is often a complicated process of proving liability and dealing with insurance companies. Our rideshare attorneys can help you with this process to make sure your rights are upheld.