Keeping You Informed Of Your Legal Rights


Para español, haga clic a continuación.
Home | The Rise of Drone Injuries in California

The Rise of Drone Injuries in California

by | Sep 18, 2015 | Personal Injury

Local News: A drone fell from the sky in Pasadena over the weekend, injuring an 11-month-old girl being pushed in a stroller by her mother, police said.

The infant was struck by shrapnel when the privately owned “quadcopter” fell to the ground just before 6:30 p.m. Saturday on Marengo Avenue near Union Street, Pasadena police Lt. Tracey Ibarra said.

“The drone shattered, sending shrapnel flying toward the child’s forehead and head and the mother’s legs,” Ibarra said.

The baby was treated at Huntington Memorial Hospital for a large contusion to her forehead and a quarter-inch laceration on the side of her head, according to the lieutenant.

Officers located the 24-year-old owner of the drone nearby. He said he had lost control of the drone. He went to the crash scene and remained there awaiting law enforcement to arrive.

The growing popularity of recreational drone use has led to a growing number of drone-related injuries in the United States. This type of incident begs the questions: Who is liable for drone-related injuries?

In the event that a personal drone injures an individual, the operator may be liable. It’s not that different from other products, and therefore there may be a strong claim made against the operator’s homeowners insurance policy. However, coverage for drone-related injuries depends on the policy’s specific language. The owner of the drone may also be liable if he/she negligently allows another, such as a minor, to operate the drone.

Things could be different if the drone was hacked. If the drone was hacked, the hacker would be liable, as opposed to the operator or owner. But the burden would fall on the operator to prove that the drone was indeed hacked.

What To Do If Injured By A Drone?

  • Determine who was operating the drone.
  • Take pictures of the drone that injured you.
  • Call the police.
  • Get medical treatment immediately.
  • Speak with an experienced personal injury attorney at Guldjian & Fasel.


Local News Source:

Google Rating
Yelp Rating
Based on 25 reviews

Schedule a Free Consultation